I developed the following recipe for mother’s day when my mom was on a low-carb diet and her sweet tooth had been neglected for nearly a month. I found that I needed about double the Splenda sugar equivalent to get an acceptable taste.
This recipe will require making an egg white foam and a hand mixer.
4 egg whites (fresh, room temperature)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
½ tsp cream of tartar
1½ cups Splenda
Pre-heat oven to 275 F
1. Beat egg whites and extracts at a medium speed until thick and foamy.
2. Add the cream of tartar.
3. Slowly add the Splenda about ¼ cup at a time until stiff peaks form (turn mixer on high about after all Splenda is added).
4. Place large spoonful of the mixture on a large cookie sheet about 1 inch apart.
5. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until golden and completely dry*
6. Turn the oven off and allow cookies to cool in the oven for one hour.
Nutrition: Variable based on the size of the cookies, but the only nutrition in the recipe is from the egg whites (about 12g protein total) and some starch mixed with the sucralose sweetener in Splenda
* Meringues cookies do not fair well in humid environments; do not set out on a plate. Will keep for a week or two in an air tight container.
For more details about how to make an egg white foam click here.