Though a daily morning omelet is delightful, neither the smoldering summer heat nor a busy schedule are conducive to preparing breakfast over a hot stove! This dish is designed to be a convenient, tasty and healthful breakfast option. Enjoy!
Gas Grill: preheat to medium-hot heat)
Round non-stick cake pan
Fitting lid or aluminum foil
Heavy duty oven mitts (silicone or fabric that can take the heat)
1 cup egg whites or egg beaters
3/4 cup left over grilled summer squash, onions and bell peppers
1/4 cup feta or Gorgonzola cheese, divided
2 sprigs basil (leaves pull off and torn into pieces
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat grill to medium or high (if you are cooking on a small grill)
2. Spray non-stick cake pan with cooking spray
3. Add egg whites or egg beaters to cake pan
4. Sprinkle veggies and 1/2 of the feta cheese (2 Tbsp; 15g) on top evenly
5. Cover and place on the grill where the pan will be exposed to even, and preferably indirect, heat
6. Take a quick shower (5-7 minutes; this time will vary based on the heat of your grill and cake pan size)
7. Go outside and pull your meal off the grill
8. Sprinkle the remaining cheese and 1/2 basil on one side of the cooked omelet; fold the omelet over
9. Transfer to a plate and top with the remaining basil; salt and pepper as desired.
Wow! Now you have breakfast that took 2 minutes of effort and kept your house cool!
260 kcal; 33 g protein; 9 g fat; 6 g sat fat; 11g carbs; 2 g fiber