2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound 96% lean ground beef
3 cups thinly sliced onions
1 teaspoon salt
6 large garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons dried powdered thyme
1 teaspoon dried sage
½ tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 bay leaves
1 cup dry sherry
4 cups beef broth or stock
1 pound brown lentils, sorted and rinsed
2 stalks celery, sliced thin
3 peeled and sliced large carrots
4 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, chopped (stems removed)
2 springs fresh basil, leaves only, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
lemon juice to taste
1 cup thinly sliced green onions for garnish
1. Heat olive oil on medium in a heavy stock pot
2. Add onion and salt, stir until turn deep golden, about 7 minutes.
3. Add ground beef and brown well
4. Add garlic, spices and herbs, and cook, stirring, until fragrant.
5. Pour in sherry and stir until nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan.
6. Stir in beef stock and boil.
7. Add lentils and the sliced/chopped vegetables. If needed, add more water to cover the lentils.
8. Cook the stew for about 1 to 1.5 hours until the lentils are very soft.
9. Remove bay leaves
10. Season to taste with salt, pepper, basil, and lemon juice
11. Top with green onions.
12. Enjoy; be built!
Nutrition: 260 Calories, 22 g protein, 33 g carbs, 12g fiber, 4 g fat, 1 g sat fat, 6mg iron (40% RDA); also high in many other vitamins and minerals!
Jean offers nutrition coaching for weight loss, muscle gain, or any of your personal goals at her office in the Alico building in downtown Waco, TX right in the heart of central Texas. She also offers personal training services at Ironhorse gym on the corner of Franklin and 17th, which is also very convenient to downtown Waco. Contact information can be found on her personal website.