Thursday, December 6, 2007

Low-Cal Pie Filling; Taking Pseudo-Dessert to a New Level!

I was walking through my localgrocery store yesterday when I got distracted by, well, pretty much everything. But one item in particular had me inspecting nutrient labels and scheming new recipes in force.

The product was a Spelda-sweetened cherry pie filling; "no sugar added." So I purchased it and opened the can about three seconds after arriving home. These little cherry bits are absolutely wonderful in a red #40, sucralose-packed kind of way. I just ate it out of the can and added it to my oatmeal in the morning, but you could also:
  • Add it to sugar-free jello in place of cold water


  • Spice it up a little and add it to a homemade graham cracker crust for a totally passable healthyish dessert


  • Mix it with cottage cheese or ricotta cheese for a cherry cheesecake treat

Upon online investigation of online purchase options, I didn't see anything close to the $1.99 deal offered in my local HEB (the large Texas grocery chain); however, I found several other lite fillings. When you are searching, however, make sure that you opt for "no sugar added!" Some manufacturers have simply cut the sugar added by a third, which is still considered "lite," but it the energy content is much higher than the mere 35 Calories per 1/3 cup in the "no sugar added" version.

You may be able to find a store locator for this particular product here

Cheapest online price here

Other interesting Splenda-sweetened pie fillings and other products here

No comments: